Vocalist.org archive

From:  Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...>
Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...>
Date:  Tue Jul 10, 2001  9:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Audition Song

Here's what the Narrator from my production of
"Joseph" did when I asked about her audition.
"I did a verse of Holding to the Ground from
Falsettos, but you can really pick anything that is
highly narrative and speaking directly to the
audience, and something that shows that you have a
high range that is flexible and powerful, like a high
belt, is good. i would definately pick an uptempo,
one that shows you have lots of positive energy, and
the more you can communicate directly as a person and
not a character to the audience the better. hope this
helps."

I would definitely NOT pick "I don't Know How to Love
Him". The woman who heads the musical theatre
department, and has directed several national tours
and does extensive regional work, said it communicates
very little and is just a bad song. She was so
adamant in this that I would never think of giving it
to someone to audition with. If she feels this way,
maybe other directors do too. You might want to look
at "Baby". Lizzie belts and it is high-- I think her
song is "The Story Goes On". The female parts in
"Godspell" would probably be a good place to look
also. I guess the underlying theme of everyone's
messages are, don't go in trying to be sweet and
sensitive. Go belt the heck out of something! Oh,
and yes, the wives sing, but in my production they
didn't dance THAT much. And Mrs. Potiphar only sings
"Come and lie with me, love." to Joseph. If Joan
Collins could sing that role for the Donny Osmond
version of the show, that must tell you something
right there. Best of luck. Remember, whatever you go
in with, be confident in yourself and your talent.
That will put you ahead of half the people there.

Trevor