Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Jul 9, 2001  7:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Good technique/bad technique

dramadiva2002@y... writes:

> In answer to the people who have suggested that maybe my vocal woes
> which led to steroids was due to faulty technical singing, I'd like
> to say the following and ask others about this as well.

While bad technique can contribute, it is not the sole cause (usually) of
benign vocal lesions. In studies of singers with swellings (conducted by
Robert Bastian at the Loyola voice clinic), the occurrence of swellings was
fairly well distributed amongst various genres of singers. The one thing
they had in common was that they all suffered from vocal overdoer syndrome.
They tend to be very sociable and outgoing when not singing, never giving the
voice a chance to recuperate.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com