Vocalist.org archive

From:  dramadiva2002@y...
dramadiva2002@y...
Date:  Fri Jul 6, 2001  8:09 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Swollen cords... advice.

Dear Lloyd,

Thanks so much, that was quite informative. I think you were also
right to caution that one must always question what is leading to
such problems in the first place and seek help in determining the
causes so as to not find oneself in this kind of situation over and
over. I did a lot of that this week. I was growing paranoid that
faulty singing might have been responsible but upon further
examination I realize it was just plain stupid judgement regarding
A/C and allergies and overuse of the voice under dry conditions.

All of this is making me feel really strongly about seeking an
eastern physician to help me with my allergies which seem to only be
getting stronger each year. Since you seem to have some knowledge,
which approach would you recommend. I know there are Chinese doctors,
there's Dr. Mendell here in NY (whom I've heard is wonderful), there
are accupunturists, as you've described and Ayurvedics. I'm not sure
which kind of alternative physician to seek out. Anyone reading this
who might have names and phone numbers of trusted healers in the NYC
area, please feel free to forward those to me.

Thanks so much!

-- DS (I know the anonymity may seem obnoxious but I prefer it).

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Lloyd W. Hanson" <vocalist-temporary@y..., "Lloyd W. Hanson" < > Dear Mike and Vocaisters:

> I am sure this will be a colossal waste of time and a cause of
great
> confusion to many but, here goes.
>
> These are drainage points, if I remember correctly. They are
> difficult to find but the sense of discomfort that one feels is a
> clue to having found them. In some cases there are a series of
> pressure points in the same location and the therapist touches
each,
> asks which is most sensitive and inserts the instrument or applies
> pressure on the most sensitive one. Pressure is applied firmly by
> the finger tips but only enough pressure to create a mild
discomfort
> and the pressure is sustained for about 30 to 45 seconds. When
> releasing the pressure, the finger applying the pressure is moved
in
> a very small circular motion 10 times in one direction and 10 times
> in the opposite direction on the pressure point to provide a more
> gradual release of the pressure and return the pressure point to
its
> normal condition.
>
> The points I remember are:
>
> 4 pressure points on each upper eye socket near the edge of the
bony
> socket but behind the eyebrow. These pressure points are close
> together and extend only from the median portion of the eyebrow
> outward, laterally, to about the center of the eyebrow. These
> pressure points encourage drainage of the upper sinuses.
>
> 2 deep pressure points, one on each side of the nose, just under
the
> widest part of the bridge of the nose. These are most easily found
> with the little fingers. These pressure points encourage drainage
of
> the nasal cavities and sinuses in this vicinity.
>
> 2 pressure points, one on each side at the back of the mandible
> (jaw). Find where the back of the mandible bends from a horizontal
> direction to a vertical direction and you should find the pressure
> point in the muscular tissue immediately behind this "bend" in the
> bony structure of the mandible. These 2 pressure points are the
> primary drainage points for the skull above them them
>
> 1 pressure point in the notch at the center of the clavicle (collar
> bone). This pressure point is in the center of this notch and can
be
> found either at the upper portion of the bony notch or at a
slightly
> frontal position, that is, rotated forward about 30 degrees. The
> pressure point assists with drainage of the bronchial area and
larynx.

> Please keep in mind that I am attempting to remember these areas to
> the best of my ability. I have used many of them myself to assist
> with my allergies and they do make a difference. There were
others,
> such as on the arms, but I am unable to remember them because they
> were not a part of my treatments for my allergies. However, those
> listed above were a very significant portion of the pressure points
> used on the soprano.
>
> I see little danger in experimenting with these points but I am
> concerned if a reader abuses their use by being too obsessive in
> his/her application of pressure or refrains from seeing a physician
> about vocal symptoms that are significant.
>
> Please keep in mind that what is written above is only a
description
> of a therapy, and not a cure for causes of vocal symptoms. Of
> course, the same is true for the administration of drugs such as
> steroids. It is our individual responsibility to seek the
necessary
> medical help to determine the causes of our vocal difficulties and
> not rely solely on therapies to remove symptoms that are often the
> result of improper use of the vocal mechanism.
> --
> Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
> Professor of Voice and Vocal Pedagogy, Emeritus
> Director of Opera-Theatre, 1987-1997
> School of Performing Arts
> Northern Arizona University
> Flagstaff, AZ 86011