Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Fri Jul 6, 2001  4:56 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Swollen cords... advice.

Dear Mike and Vocaisters:

I am sure this will be a colossal waste of time and a cause of great
confusion to many but, here goes.

These are drainage points, if I remember correctly. They are
difficult to find but the sense of discomfort that one feels is a
clue to having found them. In some cases there are a series of
pressure points in the same location and the therapist touches each,
asks which is most sensitive and inserts the instrument or applies
pressure on the most sensitive one. Pressure is applied firmly by
the finger tips but only enough pressure to create a mild discomfort
and the pressure is sustained for about 30 to 45 seconds. When
releasing the pressure, the finger applying the pressure is moved in
a very small circular motion 10 times in one direction and 10 times
in the opposite direction on the pressure point to provide a more
gradual release of the pressure and return the pressure point to its
normal condition.

The points I remember are:

4 pressure points on each upper eye socket near the edge of the bony
socket but behind the eyebrow. These pressure points are close
together and extend only from the median portion of the eyebrow
outward, laterally, to about the center of the eyebrow. These
pressure points encourage drainage of the upper sinuses.

2 deep pressure points, one on each side of the nose, just under the
widest part of the bridge of the nose. These are most easily found
with the little fingers. These pressure points encourage drainage of
the nasal cavities and sinuses in this vicinity.

2 pressure points, one on each side at the back of the mandible
(jaw). Find where the back of the mandible bends from a horizontal
direction to a vertical direction and you should find the pressure
point in the muscular tissue immediately behind this "bend" in the
bony structure of the mandible. These 2 pressure points are the
primary drainage points for the skull above them them

1 pressure point in the notch at the center of the clavicle (collar
bone). This pressure point is in the center of this notch and can be
found either at the upper portion of the bony notch or at a slightly
frontal position, that is, rotated forward about 30 degrees. The
pressure point assists with drainage of the bronchial area and larynx.

Please keep in mind that I am attempting to remember these areas to
the best of my ability. I have used many of them myself to assist
with my allergies and they do make a difference. There were others,
such as on the arms, but I am unable to remember them because they
were not a part of my treatments for my allergies. However, those
listed above were a very significant portion of the pressure points
used on the soprano.

I see little danger in experimenting with these points but I am
concerned if a reader abuses their use by being too obsessive in
his/her application of pressure or refrains from seeing a physician
about vocal symptoms that are significant.

Please keep in mind that what is written above is only a description
of a therapy, and not a cure for causes of vocal symptoms. Of
course, the same is true for the administration of drugs such as
steroids. It is our individual responsibility to seek the necessary
medical help to determine the causes of our vocal difficulties and
not rely solely on therapies to remove symptoms that are often the
result of improper use of the vocal mechanism.
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice and Vocal Pedagogy, Emeritus

dramadiva2002@y...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13075 Re: Swollen cords... advice. dramadiva2002@y...   Fri  7/6/2001   7 KB

emusic.com