Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Jul 5, 2001  11:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] How to catch up...

>From: "Molly McLinden" <verdirules@h...>
>I have been reading a lot of bios on great opera stars such as Beverly
>Sills
>and Ponselle, to name a few. Not to mention tons of recordings.
>What are some other suggestions? has anyone else here been in a similar
>place?
>I know summer programs are not an option for everyone.
>
>As usual, thanks for listening!!!
>
>Molly

If you've been reading about Beverly Sills, then you know that she took a
few years off in the midst of her career for children and other family
concerns. Sometimes, learning that the great and famous had problems akin
to one's own helps!

The boring summer job is a fact of life when one is in school. If you can
swing it, why not audition for a community musical or operetta production?
This will give you some stage time... something I've found to count at least
as much (if not more) than a lot of expen$ive schooling. (When did a
graduate degree become a NECESSITY for a performing career?)

Elizabeth Finkler
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"If you must be wrong, be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van Pelt