Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Jul 5, 2001  6:46 pm
Subject:  mr. BLYTHE, isn't that fence uncomfortable?

<< To get the most out of your voice you must
maximize its resonance, which may mean resonating some vowels in ways you
normally wouldn't in speech (this is a big subject not easily explainable).
Also, if something sounds big to you (loud in your head) that may be
because you are resonating in such a way as to make it sound big *in your
head*. It may have little relation to what others hear. >>

john,

this is an excellent example of just how different things on the inside
can sound from things on the outside and, i think, yet another excellent
reason to use tape. however, in your other recent post you seem to be
advising against the use of taping for its lack of depth.

i agree that taping oneself is not ideal however, we have only two
choices; use it or not. if we're going to use it, i say we need to use it
often. the more we use it, the more we develope an expertise in using it
as a tool. and, after a while, we become immune to the 'i hate my voice'
syndrome.

what do you think of having reference sounds in the background, like the
piano accompaniment? one could hear how the tape affects the piano and
assume that something similar happens to one's voice.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13070 Re: mr. BLYTHE, isn't that fence uncomfortable? John Alexander Blyth   Fri  7/6/2001   5 KB
13074 Re: mr. BLYTHE, isn't that fence uncomfortable? Greypins@a...   Fri  7/6/2001   2 KB
13076 Re: mr. BLYTHE, isn't that fence uncomfortable? John Alexander Blyth   Fri  7/6/2001   3 KB
13077 Rep Question: For baritone in the 20s and little Trevor Allen   Sat  7/7/2001   2 KB
13079 Re: Rep Question: For baritone in the 20s and lit Karen Mercedes   Sun  7/8/2001   2 KB
13080 Audition Song? Dolphin aura   Sun  7/8/2001   2 KB
13197 Bombing an audition... Imthurn Melinda   Mon  7/16/2001   3 KB
13206 Re: Bombing an audition... dramadiva2002@y...   Mon  7/16/2001   4 KB
13207 Re: Bombing an audition... dramadiva2002@y...   Mon  7/16/2001   3 KB

emusic.com