Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
gwyee@r...
Date:  Wed Jul 4, 2001  12:32 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] taping and accepting one's voice

At 02:04 AM 7/3/01 EDT, Greypins@a... wrote:
> how often do we hear someone singing something they shouldn't? some
>high baritone taking a crack at 'wintersturme' or a soubrette wailing away at
>'un bel di'? <snip>.....if what they are well
>suited to isn't going so well, they need to face the fact that they need to
>go elsewhere for advice or worse, realize they are not that good and that
>just wanting it, doesn't make it so.

Dear mike and Vocalistmates,

I suppose that in a static unchanging world this might be true. However, as
it stands, your comment doesn't seem to leave any room for possible
development [ie, strengthening certain muscles, improving muscular
coordination, changing technique, etc] Soubrettes can grow. And more than
a few tenors began as high baritones (although I don't recall any bassos who
started out as tenor).

GWendel, dT

emusic.com