Vocalist.org archive

From:  taylor23f@h...
taylor23f@h...
Date:  Tue Jul 3, 2001  11:41 pm
Subject:  Another Vocology Institute Update!

Hello Listers,

We are into block-two of the Vocology Institute. It's hard to
believe we've done three graduate credits in three weeks time! Block-
two consists of two classes (four hours of lecture per day): Voice
Habilitation (taught by Jan Svec who is internationally known in the
field of audiology, and Eileen Finnegan, a CCC-SPL from U. Iowa).
Today and yesterday we learned how to do stoboscopy with the rigid
scope. Dr. Finnegan did not even SHOW us how to do it....she kind of
just TALKED us through it! It was a little scary at first because
none of us are going to be ENTs (we're either voice teachers or
speech pathologists). It was a real learning experience. Today, I
was the volunteer in the class and let nine people strobe me...people
who had never strobed before! It was great fun...I gagged very
little and I was even able to sing rather well with the scope inside
my mouth. Since I had never viewed my folds before...it was nice to
know that they are pearly white and in perfect health! The whole
strobing event took over an hour. Ingo Titze came in to watch at one
point and commented on what a "great sport" I was to volunteer to be
the victim of the day! Apply for admission next year...the
instruction is simply fantastic. Visit www.ncvs.org for more info.

Take Care All,

Taylor L. Ferranti
DMA Candidate in Voice Science/Performance
Louisiana State University

emusic.com