Vocalist.org archive

From:  dramadiva2002@y...
dramadiva2002@y...
Date:  Tue Jul 3, 2001  7:27 pm
Subject:  Swollen cords... advice.

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of my first ever YAP and I've got a problem. My
first and only scenes performance will be next week but for a couple
of weeks I was covering another scene which was vocally much more
exhausting and I overworked my voice while simultaneously (I didn't
know this, I know it now) singing on cords covered in thick phlegm
due to allergies. I went to a doctor yesterday because the voice was
just generally feeling unresponsive and fragile and she says the
cords are swollen. Not terribly so but enough to need rest for a
week. I said I have rehearsals this week so she put me on steroids.
I'm only on day 2 now. Do any of you know how soon is ok for me to
lightly begin vocalizing? I sort of cheated and did very light (3
minutes) in the middle voice today just to check progress. It already
feels better than it had.

Also, has anyone gone through this and, if so, were you able to sing
without ruining yourself? This is my biggest concern. Starting Friday
I only have about 3 or 4 rehearsals. None of those should go over an
hour each since it is only a short scene we're doing (I'm doing
Aida's entrance at the end of the Amneris and Radames duet/terzet).
If I were to take it easy and sing ONLY when absolutely necessary is
there still a chance of doing real damage????

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
DS :-)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13033 Re: Swollen cords... advice. John Messmer, M.D.   Wed  7/4/2001   3 KB
13034 Re: Swollen cords... advice. taylor23f@h...   Wed  7/4/2001   3 KB
13035 Re: Swollen cords... advice. dramadiva2002@y...   Wed  7/4/2001   2 KB
13045 Re: Swollen cords... advice. John Link   Thu  7/5/2001   3 KB
13088 Re: Swollen cords... advice. Ian Belsey   Mon  7/9/2001   3 KB
13039 Re: Swollen cords... advice. BEChoate@a...   Thu  7/5/2001   2 KB
13055 Re: Swollen cords... advice. Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  7/5/2001   6 KB
13058 Re: Swollen cords... advice. dramadiva2002@y...   Fri  7/6/2001   7 KB
13060 Re: Swollen cords... advice. Margaret Harrison   Fri  7/6/2001   2 KB

emusic.com