Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Tue Jul 3, 2001  5:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] trusting recordings,was: students who quit

In that case, I must be the very worst performer out there, for I certainly
can't hear any evidence of greatness on my recordings. I can easily find
three (and multiples thereof) things I don't like, but I can't hear anything
I *do* like.

But they like me at St. Luke's, and I do get some work occasionally, so
maybe the medium ISN'T the message.

As I said, my first look at myself on videotape certainly frightened me off,
but I'm OK on a more recent tape (playing Mrs. Pearce in "My Fair Lady"). I
have a tape of the "Candide" in which I played the Old Lady, but I haven't
had the courage to watch it.

>From: Greypins@a...
>john,
>
> good point about the recording quality differences. still, there is
>lot to be looked at besides the tricked up aspects. we can compare bad
>live
>recordings of famous singers with their studio recordings and not have a
>problem recognizing them as the same singer (and when i say that, i mean
>with
>regard to how they sing and generally, what they sound like) so, we can
>look
>at those aspects of our performances and those of the big stars and compare
>those elements that are little affected by recording quality. even on a
>piece of crap, we will recognize a great singer's ability.
>
>mike

Elizabeth Finkler
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"If you must be wrong, be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van Pelt