Vocalist.org archive

From:  peggyh@i...
peggyh@i...
Date:  Tue Jul 3, 2001  5:36 pm
Subject:  Re: Re: [vocalist] Question RE auditioning for G&S

I passed this question on to a friend of mind who's performed in (and
auditioned for)more G&S shows than I can count on my fingers (and maybe even
toes), on whether to audition with something from theshow or not, and here's
her take:

<< I've tried both and I've listened to people do both a tune from the
show, a song from another G&S show, art songs and opera arias. I
asked Adina (Josephine from the Pinafore we all did with the
Savoyards) this same question a few weeks ago. She told me that she
auditioned for Princess Ida with Ida's opening aria the way 'she'
thought it should be done and I think she pretty much blew the
competition away. If you know anything about the stage &/or music
directors, it helps. A new G&S director won't be familiar with the
songs so it doesn't matter. Someone who knows the shows might be
looking for a particular G&S sound and doing a G&S song might give
you an edge. If the director does more broadway musical than opera,
they will probably listen for that 'sound' to cast.

I don't know if that's helpful but as a last comment, G&S is Operetta
and I would lean toward that end of the spectrum. >>

emusic.com