Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Tue Jul 3, 2001  2:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Auditioning for Musicals (was: Auditioning for G&S)

In a message dated 7/3/01 9:14:00 AM, dalila@R... writes:

<< Indeed, I suggest that unless an audition notice explicitly states that
you SHOULD sing a song from the show, you should always play it safe and
avoid doing so. And if you don't know enough about the musical theatre
repertoire to know what song might be "very much like" (musically,
vocally, thematically, dramatically, etc.) one of the songs
sung by the character you long to play, ask Vocalist >>

Karen's suggestions are great. To reaffirm all that she said, I'll tell you
that I just gave a workshop on this topic. I'm not an expert from personal
experience, but I used as a reference AUDITIONING FOR MUSICAL THEATRE by Fred
Silver. His advice is invaluable, and almost precisely what Karen has said .
The volume also includes a list of good audition songs.

Sincerely,
Lynda Lacy, Vocal Music
Hilton Head Preparatory School
Hilton Head Island, SC