Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Allan Vurma" <vurma@e...>
"Allan Vurma" <vurma@e...>
Date:  Tue Jul 3, 2001  6:30 am
Subject:  "forward placement" poll

Dear listers

As we all know, singers and voice teachers often use figurative expressions to
describe voice quality and to provoke students to sing in a certain way. One of
the terms often used is "to bring the voice "forward" or avoid it falling
"back"".

My concern is to figure out: do we understand the content of these terms
uniformly and are there any fixed correlations between these expresssions and
the acoustic content of the voice so described.

I ask you to help me, if you can spend a quarter an hour to listen some sound
samples and give your valuable evaluations about what you hear and perceive.
You can do so by visiting my "poll" page: http://www.local.ee/allan/
clicking to the sound sample links (wav), listening to them and filling in the
empty spaces.
In hope for your interest,

Allan Vurma
Estonian Academy of Music