Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon Jul 2, 2001  6:12 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Taping, was students who quit

Dr. Diane wrote:
>From: dclark Reply-To: vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com
I remind them that
>the mirror and the tape recorder are their two best friends, especially
>because it is impossible (and not even desirable) for them to have a
>teacher or other live feedback present with them at all times.

Here's another tangent: What do you do with the student who hears
him/herself on tape... and absolutely HATES the way he/she sounds?

When I was in college, an instructor videotaped a rehearsal of a play I was
in. I was so thoroughly appalled by the way I looked and sounded (like a
nauseating little-girl actress who was on TV a lot at the time), that I
think it set back my development as a performer by several years. I *still*
hate the way I sound on tape, even when my current teacher says I'm making
good progress. What's to be done?

Elizabeth Finkler
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"If you must be wrong, be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van Pelt

12984 Re: Taping, was students who quit Dean FH Macy   Mon  7/2/2001   2 KB
12990 Re: Taping, was students who quit Margaret Harrison   Tue  7/3/2001   3 KB
12992 Re: Taping, was students who quit Greypins@a...   Tue  7/3/2001   2 KB
12995 Re: Taping, was students who quit gwyee@r...   Tue  7/3/2001   2 KB
12998 Re[2]: [vocalist] Taping, was students who quit Vicki Bryant   Tue  7/3/2001   3 KB

emusic.com