Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jul 2, 2001  3:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] students who quit

I think there is definite value to a video tape - indeed, I think there's
MORE value to a video tape than an audio tape as a learning tool. My
teachers have always suggested practising in front of a mirror - and it's
not a bad idea per se. But only after I took an audition preparation
class in which each singer was videotaped during each session did I
realize that even the "in front of the mirror" approach wasn't entirely
"honest" in what it reveald to me. For one thing, if I'm in front of a
mirror and really concentrating on what I see, I tend to be very
self-conscious about NOT doing things that I know I shouldn't be doing -
but which, without the mirror - I'm much more likely to do. So I'm extra
cautious in front of the mirror, which isn't revealing to me what I really
DO when I perform in "real life" - it is only showing me what I really do
when I perform in fron of a mirror and am concentrating on not doing the
wrong thing at the same time. On the other hand, if I'm really working on
my music/voice intensely, I find I don't even look in the mirror even if
it's right in front of my face. I'm too absorbed in music, technique, etc.
I have to make a conscious effort to watch myself "in realtime" - which
distracts me from the music/technique, and gets me thinking about how I
LOOK when I sing.

With the video, on the other hand, I can sing wholly UNselfconsciously,
then review how I look after the fact. Since the overall effectiveness of
a PERFORMANCE is influenced, in large part, by the visual aspect of that
performance, doing this kind of visual "sanity checking" is a great help.

But as a tool for weekly recording of lessons? I'm not sure it would be of
much more value to me than an audio tape would be - because, again, I need
to feel from the INSIDE when what I'm doing is wrong, and how it feels
when it's right. Again, after nearly 7 years of study, I've reached a
point where I'm very good at sensing even very tiny corrections and how
they feel, and hearing "from the inside" how they change my vocal sound.

Frankly, I think it's much more effective to simply have my teacher tell
me I'm doing something strange physically - and for me to correct it on
the spot - than for her to parade me up to a mirror so I can try to watch
myself doing the wrong thing, then the right one. I'm not going to have a
mirror there onstage, so a visual correction is going to be of little
value to me.

Also, as the sceptic who doesn't trust compliments, I never meant that to
mean I didn't trust my teacher's judgement when it came to details of what
I need to do technically. If she says I'm leaning forward a litle too
much, I don't need a mirror to "corroborate" that. If she says my jaw is
tense, or my lips aren't rounded enough, again - I trust her to be telling
me the truth, and I trust my own senses and ears to make the correction
and to hear the results of that correction "from the inside".

The video, then, is of value for the same reason the audio is - to help me
get an overall sense of how my complete performance comes across to
others. As a tool for picking out the minute details of my technical
production, I'd rather not get to the point where I'm relying on anything
but my ears and body sensations - with my teacher's guidance directing me
towards what I should be listening for or feeling for - IN THE MOMENT ("in
realtime") to know whether what I'm doing is wrong or right.

KM
NEIL SHICOFF, TENORE SUPREMO
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Own Website