Vocalist.org archive

From:  dclark <DCLARK@r...>
dclark <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Mon Jul 2, 2001  5:59 pm
Subject:  RE: the value of tapes

>===== Original Message From Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>

>Frankly, the only real value the tape recordings have to me is to give me
>a chance to see if what I'm doing in terms of PERFORMANCE - musical
>choices, dramatic choices - is working. As a tool for learning vocal
>technique, I find tapes almost worthless.

I certainly understand where you are coming from, but remember, I teach
primarily undergraduate college students. My students range from those
who can't match pitches at all to those who give fine music major senior
recitals, but all are "babes" in the vocal "big picture." They have not yet,
as
you have, developed that reliable sense of what they are doing. Thus they
need more help from tapes and mirrors. I don't advocate that students
tape every lesson. I just want them to learn to use their tapes
strategically.

As a singer of long experience myself, I still regularly use a tape recorder
when I practice. There are always surprises when I play back and hear
what I REALLY did, as opposed to what I THOUGHT I did. To each her
own.

Dr. Diane M. Clark, Chair
Music Dept., Rhodes College
Memphis, TN 38112
901-843-3782
http://www.rhodes.edu

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12978 Re: the value of tapes Dean FH Macy   Mon  7/2/2001   2 KB
12983 Re: the value of tapes Greypins@a...   Mon  7/2/2001   3 KB

emusic.com