Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Sun Jul 1, 2001  4:39 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] students who quit (long)

In a message dated 6/30/2001 12:16:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
jaxsobcon@n... writes:

> Sometimes I wouldfind it frustrating when she was continually offering
> critique and never commenting on things if they improved.

This is something I've been thinking about lately. . .The transition into the
true professional realm, working with the top coaches and conductors whose
job it is to critique with their particular stamp of expertise. I was at
first feeling that all I did was get corrected, altered, judged, and then I
remembered that it was their job to do so. If I went in and sang and they
said "Great!" and that was it, both of us would feel as if they weren't doing
their job.
At some point in their career, every singer must accept that they have
reached the skill level to have been hired because they can sing, and sing
well, and that the production team takes that as a given. The real meat is in
the fine tuning; the expression, the phrasing, the dynamics. Being flexible
and receptive to that is the next order of business, as singers really are
instruments for the expression of the piece through the filter of the
conductor and director. That is what we are all hired to do, in the end.
TinaO

emusic.com