Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Mon May 1, 2000  4:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] A very strange concert

singersuki@a... wrote:

> the tenor sang "O Paradiso" and then dropped dead of a heart attack. Right
> there as he was walking back from the front through the altar, he staggered,
> and fell down
> with a horrendous THUMP! as his head hit the tile floor.

Now you know why it is said that Tenors put everything they have into a song.
Seriously-

> Anybody else ever been through this kind of thing? I'm still stunned.

Couple of times. One was in a church conference. The choir had just started to
sing, "Oh Death, Where Is Thy Victory" when a latecomer, halfway down the aisle
collapsed and died. Unsure of what to do, we just kept singing as attendants
rushed over and carried her away. I believe we kept the thousands who were
there
calm.

The other was in the Hollywood Bowl during the finale of Mahlar's "Resurrection
Symphony." As I was about to begin the Tenor solo, the conductor collapsed into
heap and rolled off the stand. I thought at the time (hey, I was young) "Oh,
great! He has to die now and steal the show?" when the first violinist jumped up
on the stand and continued conducting. I believe he did this to prevent the
huge
audience from panicking.

Kinda makes you want to give up singing.

Dean FH Macy, Lit.D./Mus.D.

"Specializing in Management of exceptionally talented youth in Music"
<http://www.newenglandtalent.org> EPI Records - NetWork Films

"Making children do something they don't want to do is the job of the parents.
If that doesn't work, there are always juvenile detention centers." - Mike R.
-

emusic.com