Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Jun 29, 2001  10:52 pm
Subject:  What People Tell You (was Students who quit...)

Karen Mercedes wrote:

> But it does make me wonder about what really goes
> on in the minds of our teachers sometimes. Are they really telling us the
> truth, or are they encouraging us while not really believing in us,
> because they need the income we represent?

> I've actually reached a point I do not trust compliments from anyone I
> know (except for my mother, who - in the way of mothers - can be my most
> brutal critic...for my own good, of course), and least of all from my
> teachers and coaches.

Karen raises a great topic that I've faced, and I'm sure
most singers face. People tell us things about our
singing. Is what they say true, whether positive or
negative? How seriously should we take these comments? Whom
can we trust?

Teachers are human like everyone, so even the best err in
regard to me from time to time. I don't expect perfection.
And I don't expect my teacher to say to me "your singing
sucks". I do expect my teacher to give me positive feedback
in terms of my progress, on a relative scale, even though on
an absolute scale I may not (and may never) "be there."

And really, I know by how repertoire is working in my voice
and how my voice feels singing it how my singing is going
and my technique is progressing. If I can do the messa di
voce on any note I want, my voice is working. If, once
having learned them, I can sing the fastest notes in the
piece easily and make them come out clearly, my voice is
working. When the high note just floats out there, and I can
make it louder or softer at will, my voice is working. When
I can sing any consonant I want (on the staff, at least), my
voice is working.

So if, with the help of my teacher, I am able to do all
these things consistently, I am able to do more good with my
voice this year than I was last year, I am making progress.
If I'm no better this year than last year at this time, it's
time to think about a change. And if I want a totally
unbiased opinion about my singing from someone, I audition
and see what happens. If they cast me/hire me in a
position/role that's right for me, I sound good. If not, I
have more work to do. (And of course, I'm not silly enough
to expect them to cast this middle-aged overweight woman as
Gilda or Baby Doe!).

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...