Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Fri Jun 29, 2001  4:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Students who quit...

Pat,
A few points which might lend you some encouragement:
In the third year of a four year music degree, I didn't like music any
more. The fizz had gone out of it, and probably only stubbornness got me
through. I like music again now!
Also, until a new richness came into my voice almost by accident, at about
age 39, the only reason I think I was ever chosen as an occasional soloist
was that I could sing low notes, and real basses (which I am not) are rare.
Since then I have definitely been a soloist and have had much positive
feedback that was absent before.
Going further back: as a guitar student I auditioned for the voice
programme and was advised to continue with guitar - now I realise I was not
temperamentally suited to receive voice instruction, since I approached
every task with a not-very-winning mixture of intensity and sanguinity.
Only years later have I got the mix right. I'll never make big bucks
singing, but I get to do some very satisfying stuff with very talented
people, and people actually like to hear me sing!
And I have other things in my life...
Is it possible that all you need to do is ease off the pressure a bit and
take a rest?
john

At 10:34 PM 6/28/01 -0500, you wrote:
... I was ready
>to chuck it all about 2 months ago & it didn't have anything to do with
>my teacher. I was told about a conversation that my husband had with a
>conductor that we know. What came back to me, the night before one of our
>"Women in Music" recitals, was that I would never be a "soloist". Okay,
>so I asked myself "what is that suppose to mean?". Because I was already
>struggling with some confidence issues at the time, I became upset about
>this for a month & began to wonder if I'm wasting my time studying voice.
John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

emusic.com