Vocalist.org archive

From:  BdwayDiva1@a...
BdwayDiva1@a...
Date:  Fri Jun 29, 2001  11:40 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Students who quit...

Everyone on this board has mentioned that loss of motivation, and
goals not being met is a big reason for quitting, It has been my
personal expereince that the teacher caused me to quit. My HIgh
School teacher was a strict woman, perhaps even too stirct and
blunt.Oftentimes I would go home crying over the remarks she would
make. I really was trying hard,but it seemed as if nothing I did was
ever good enough. After 8 long months with her, I couldn't take it
anymore. I had to quit. I remeber thinking that I could count the
number of times she ever said anything to positve to me on one hand
with several fingers missing. So yes, sometimes it IS the teacher's
fault.

Clarissa

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., of
> interest and those who quit out of frustration. on those who lose
interest,
> there's nothing you can do about them. best of luck to them in
the next
> thing they'll give up (that was nicer than 'screw 'em', my original
thought).

> those who are frustrated are those who still want to sing.
their
> expectations, obviously, are not being met. if their expectations
are
> unreasonable, they'll never be happy. so, their expectations need
to be
> changed or, they need to quit. they need to be shown what they
are most
> likely to do best and how to get there (a bass who really wants to
sing tenor
> is more likely headed for frustration than success, for example).
unless
> what these people can do for real is ultimately as good or better
than what
> they initially wish to do, and they would be the judge of that,
they will not
> be happy ('be the best short, fat and bald guy you can be and don't
worry,
> some people like the smell of garbage' is not likely to be a big
comfort to
> someone who wants to be tall, dark and handsome, no odor).
>
> those who have reasonable goals that are not being met are
either being
> instructed incorrectly, too impatient or are working the wrong way
to get
> where they wish. obviously, someone who wants to sing like
britney spears
> but is being taught to sing like renata tebaldi, is not being
instructed
> properly. in this example, the teacher could be quite good and
may well
> have a better goal in mind for that student than the student does
with regard
> to vocal health but, this is that teacher's agenda which is very
different
> from the student's agenda. and of course this says nothing about
the
> teacher who doesn't have the ability to help a student towards
their goal.

> achieving a goal requires a specific effort. if the effort
made is
> wrong, the results will be wrong too (thank you, maestro berra).
if the
> amount of effort is too little, the results will fall short and if
the
> efforts are too much, the results will also be wrong. (these
notions seem
> very obvious to me but, i often see people exhibiting a tremendous
lack in
> this understanding. instead of changing the wrong thing that they
are
> doing, they'll just keep doing the same thing, harder. does not
wrong +
> more effort = wronger? no wonder lazy people learn faster!)
someone with
> the right answer and no interest will be closer to someone with the
wrong
> answer and plenty of interest, more often. occasionally, someone
with so
> much enthusiasm and desire will have the vision to stumble on to
something
> great (bob dylan, seve ballesteros, the guy who invented the pet
rock, etc.)
> but, this is not the rule.
>
> mike

emusic.com