Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
"SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Thu Jun 28, 2001  4:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Students who quit...

Dear Dean,

Thanks for your answer and definition. I find it very interesting how you
divide up teaching voice this way. Purely as a matter of semantics, I would
call what you call "singing" the technical part, though in your "tech" part,
you include a lot of technique as well. You must get a great deal of joy
and satisfaction out of teaching these kids.

My teachers and I have always enmeshed the two facets under the principal
"What's musical is vocal and what's vocal is musical." Ultimately, all
aspects of presentation of a performance and vocal technique complement each
other and become one thing. The way my former teacher, Shirlee Emmons,
teaches is the best example of this I can think of. My current teacher,
Cornelius Reid embodies these principles as well. Do you find that as the
student progresses in "singing" that his "technical" ability is affected?
And vice versa?

Susan Schneider

emusic.com