Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Thu Jun 28, 2001  2:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Students who quit...

SMSchneider wrote:

> Dean wrote:
> "My current professional student, ten year old Emily Hamilton, has completed
> her basic four years of singing lessons in eight months, an unheard of time
> and she is now into technical training."
>
> What's the difference between singing lessons and technical training? How
> do you define these two things?

Dear Susan,

With standard voice teachers there is virtually no difference because both of
these fall under vocal training, but with teachers who work with professional
singers, and I mean those who become famous as singers, there is a world of
difference. Also you need to remember I work solely with children.

Singing lessons for me consist of relaxation, mouth and tongue position to
effect a pure tone/timbre, stance, breathing, sight reading, diction, an all
around general focus. You must also remember I audition children and only accept
those who already know how to sing and who sing well; plus who only love to sing
Classical music. A very small group!

Tech, again with me, is more of vocal coaching sessions. It's all the teachings
of advanced singing but concentrating on delivery of songs, teaching the
techniques of coloratura, trills, when and where to roll the "r's," effectation
of the movement of the tongue rather than the mouth on vowels, learning to
recognize and use her natural vibrato, vertical singing, focus, focus, focus,
and then in personal stance; eye contact with an audience, the reading of and
playing to an audience, concert hall/stage placement, spotting: I could go on
and on. It's basically the entire gamit of projecting oneself to an audience
and bring the audience back on stage with you, at the same time delivering a
song in the best possible style/fashion to move her audience to want her, the
singer, to never stop her performance.

Hope this answers your questions.

Dean

--