Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed Jun 27, 2001  8:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] It's the passaggio

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 promero@w... wrote:

> I just finished my third voice semester and I'm still struggling with
> it---it feels like I'll never master it.. That's what's going on with
> Dies Bildnis- singing around the passaggio...
> and what with no teacher here in Ecuador (she's in NC) and the lack
> of any reliable teachers down here...i'm on my own for the whole
> summer, and I don't want to STOP singing during those three months
> because my technique will just go to hell in a handbasket.

If the lack of teacher support is temporary, you may want to consider,
instead of struggling with the passagio on your own, concentrating on
literature this summer that doesn't involve lots of passagio work - i.e.,
different tessitura, less movement through the "Breaks" range-wise.

This might be a safer alternative than trying to fix a major problem on
your own, and may allow you to make some significant progress in other
areas that may surprise you by having a secondary benefit of helping with
the passagio problem indirectly.

KM
NEIL SHICOFF, TENORE SUPREMO
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html