Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Nande" <denanny@h...>
"Nande" <denanny@h...>
Date:  Wed Jun 27, 2001  3:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] decisions, decisions.....

Karen,
Thank you for your wise words! A dose of realism is always a good
thing.
I'd like to comment on a few things though...
Nursing was hardly emotionally-charged career for me. In fact it was
a choice made out of 'force'; I was 22, I have had some personal
problems in the past which had been taken care of, and I had to do
something! So I went to nursing school because I come from a
healthcare-oriented background. (so it was the earsiest choice) I
intended to switch to medicine, but never got in, so I ended up with
a nursing degree and no doctor's title. The latter was okay, I didn't
want to go to school for another 10-12 years... I met my boyfriend
during this time and when I moved in with him, he had to 'support'
me. I had my own money as well, though. I had a job and an
'allowance' which every dutch student gets
I haven't been nursing at all for 2 years now, I'm a... well I don't
know the word for it in english, but I work for the ministry of
health, which means I get to sit behind a desk and write lengthy
papers for the minister and talk on the phone with all kinds of
people. (My work does involve national policy on nurses' education,
though...:-))
I have always been singing. When I was 6 years old, my schoolteacher
wrote songs for me because I liked to sing so much. I've only started
taking serious lessons about 18 months ago and a made real
progress.... I went from pop-ditties to Queen of the night...... I
get accepted on every audition I do, people always, always comment me
on my voice (in a positive way...;-))
So, It's been an item for a LONG time now. It feels as if things
start to fall into place.
But I also know the disadvantages of my age. And I know that living a
singer's life is not always fun. It's hard work. I know. I do not see
glitter and glamour, believe me. I do see however a way to make the
most out of my talent, which I think I have.
And you're right, nursing is always an option. So are thousands of
other jobs.
But still.... I think mike's words made sense as well.
It's a tough choice!! (that's why I would love to know all your ideas
and comments ans experiences!)
Thanx, again Karen,
Nande

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12898 Re: decisions, decisions..... John Link   Wed  6/27/2001   2 KB
12899 Re: decisions, decisions..... Nande   Wed  6/27/2001   2 KB
12900 Re: decisions, decisions..... John Link   Wed  6/27/2001   2 KB

emusic.com