Vocalist.org archive

From:  arado_ge@y...
arado_ge@y...
Date:  Wed Jun 27, 2001  6:49 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] NO VIBRATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Peggy,

I spent about 18 months with the first one and nearly two years with
my current one. I know that a lot of the problem must derive from
singing in cathedral choirs from about the age of 8 where we were
pretty much forced to have a "pure" sounds. I obviously have some
terribly bad habit causing tension which is preventing me from
obtaining a vibrato but haven't yet identified it!!

Arado

> arado_ge@y... wrote:
> << I seem to have one of those "pure" voices. I can not do a
vibrato. I have been to two different teachers without success. I
don't want
> to be stuck singing plainchant or something like that for the rest
of
> my life. >>
>
> I have one question for you. You mentioned that you've been to two
teachers, but have not met your goal. Can you say how much time you
spent with each teacher?

> I'll let the pedagogues on the list give you specific answers, but
I will answer from my own experience. When I started studying voice
over 15 years ago, I didn't have (or thought I didn't have) vibrato,
either. I eventually got it. But it took a lot of time. I had to
slowly unlearn a lot of habitual tensions, and, in my case at least,
that took a lot of time. There were many ways that I worked on it -
with good posture, learning feelings of relaxation in my singing
mechanism and everywhere in my body while singing, and learning the
right way to breathe for singing. Even using vowels and consonants
the right way helped me. For me there was no one "magic" answer. It
was a lot of hard work over a long period with my teacher.
Improvement was gradual. First the vibrato appeared, but it was
irregular and fast. But as my overall technique improved, so did the
vibrato. Now it's always there.

emusic.com