Vocalist.org archive

From:  peggyh@i...
peggyh@i...
Date:  Tue Jun 26, 2001  5:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] NO VIBRATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arado_ge@y... wrote:
<< I seem to have one of those "pure" voices. I can not do a vibrato. I have
been to two different teachers without success. I don't want
to be stuck singing plainchant or something like that for the rest of
my life. >>

I have one question for you. You mentioned that you've been to two teachers,
but have not met your goal. Can you say how much time you spent with each
teacher?

I'll let the pedagogues on the list give you specific answers, but I will
answer from my own experience. When I started studying voice over 15 years
ago, I didn't have (or thought I didn't have) vibrato, either. I eventually
got it. But it took a lot of time. I had to slowly unlearn a lot of habitual
tensions, and, in my case at least, that took a lot of time. There were many
ways that I worked on it - with good posture, learning feelings of relaxation
in my singing mechanism and everywhere in my body while singing, and learning
the right way to breathe for singing. Even using vowels and consonants the
right way helped me. For me there was no one "magic" answer. It was a lot of
hard work over a long period with my teacher. Improvement was gradual. First
the vibrato appeared, but it was irregular and fast. But as my overall
technique improved, so did the vibrato. Now it's always there.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12887 Re: NO VIBRATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! arado_ge@y...   Wed  6/27/2001   3 KB

emusic.com