Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Jun 26, 2001  4:33 pm
Subject:  Recording as an Art WAS: Recording

"Ginny Allen" <revginny@w...> wrote:
> When you are in studio, don't be intimidated by the engineers.
> YOU are the musician and they are the technicians.

Dear Ginny,

I agreed with all your points about working collaboratively with the
engineer. BUT, I do feel I need to defend the honor of recording
engineers! :-)

Like singers, engineers have technical expertise, but what we do is
also part of the musical process itself. Taking a performance and
turning it into a beautiful recording is an art form. A recording is a
newly created work distinct from the performance which can have its
own artistic legal protection. If you've ever heard multiple remixes
of a single performance - you can hear just how different a
recording can turn out in different hands.

There's a parallel in the visual arts world - Photographers are not
just technicians. For instance, Annie Leibovitz is a celebrated
photographer whose work is often shown in galleries. The subjects of
her camera may be interesting people, but Leibovitz is the artist.

We singers are always working in collaboration with some kind of
acoustician - sometimes the long-gone designer of the hall, sometimes
the sound engineer, often both. Not to mention costume/set/lighting
designers, composers, librettists, accompanists, conductors - all of
whom change the way people perceive our vocal contribution.

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12875 Re: Recording as an Art WAS: Recording John Alexander Blyth   Tue  6/26/2001   4 KB

emusic.com