Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Jun 25, 2001  4:07 pm
Subject:  Re: Recording

Milena Sertich Grubor <mgrubor@u...> wrote:
> I am planning a to record 5 arias on CD and was wondering how long
this
> should take, taking into consideration multiple runs, etc. I am not
> looking for perfection, it is not for a competition, or audition
just to
> give to members of my family as gifts. Any advice about recording?

Dear Milena,

Assuming you and your accompanist can play through each aria
flawlessly each time, I'd plan for 3 takes for each aria. Plan on at
least half an hour to get the microphones/levels set up properly for
you and the keyboardist. 5 arias * 3 takes each amounts to about an
hour of solid singing - perhaps you might want to do it in two
separate sessions to prevent fatigue? Allow for a couple of
minutes between each take also (for vocal rest and for the engineer to
tweak things).

Are you recording to 2 or multiple tracks? If multiple, reserve some
time for mixing down. You'll probably need your engineer to master the
CD as well (prepare it for pressing). HTH!

Tako

emusic.com