Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
"Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
Date:  Mon Jun 25, 2001  3:38 pm
Subject:  Re: Galina Vishnevskaya

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Nande" <> wrote:
--- In
vocalist-temporary@y..., "Nande" <> wrote:
> Dear list,
> I will be attending a masterclass given by Galina Vishnevskaya
> tonight. (As a spectator, I should add! :-))
> I've never heard ms. Vishnevskaya sing, and do know nothing about
> her. What can you listers tell me about her?
> Thanx!
> Nande

By all means, try to get her excellent autobiography, "Galina." Among
other things she is Mrs. Mistoslav Rostropovich, and friend to
Solzhynitsen.

She was the original soprano soloist in the Britten War Requiem with
Pears and Fischer-Dieskau (which was recorded on London.) She is also
on several recordings of Russian operas and songs.

I don't think she has sung much in years. When she did it was a very
big voice. A bit "unwieldy" at times. Extremely expressive, though.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12854 Recording Milena Sertich Grubor   Mon  6/25/2001   3 KB
12855 Re: Recording Tako Oda   Mon  6/25/2001   3 KB
12862 Re: Galina Vishnevskaya Sally Collyer   Tue  6/26/2001   5 KB

emusic.com