Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Sat Jun 23, 2001  5:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] very very high songs?

"Sandra" <sandra@b...> wrote:

> How many people actually sing this high? Assuming that they are
either a
> professional or studying classically?

The breakdown of voices in opera is not representative of those in
real professional musical life. Opera of course tends to require
'larger than life' voices. Even a light lyric operatic singer has a
larger voice than the typical person. People with average or small
voices stick to choral music or amplified genres.

I know a number of early/pop/choral (semi)professional singers who
have a high Bb above high C. They simply don't have opera-sized
voices. It seems to be correlated. The highest voices *tend* to be
smaller - think of how rare the dramatic coloratura soprano is.

Besides, there's always the issue of demand. There's virtually no rep
for a super-duper high coloratura (or a super low profundo), so people
with extreme voices aren't likely to go into opera, since it's hard
enough as it is to make a living with a 'normal' ranged voice.

Sometimes I think the roasted cygnet aria from Carmina Burana was
written for me, but I don't think I can support my family singing just
one song ;-)

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12832 Re: very very high songs? domina_ascenti@y...   Sat  6/23/2001   2 KB