Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon May 1, 2000  4:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Desert Song

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Peter Louis van Dijk wrote:

> Dear List.
>
> Help!
>
> A baritone student of mine chose this operetta aria (My Desert is waiting)
> from a Romberg album.
>
> Is this sung by a bariton or a tenor? His research produced Mario Lanza
> singing this in the movie. (??)
>
> Is this actually a duet and would he be penalized if he sang both verses for
> an exam? The album version does not indicate that this is a duet.
>
> Perhaps it's safer for him to sing "The Impossible Dream"!?

That particular role is a "Zwischenfach" role - it's been sung by tenors
and baritones. Aside from Lanza, it was also sung by baritone Gordon
Macrae. If his upper-middle and upper registers are secure, and he's
comfortable with the tessitura, there's no reason for him not to sing it.

-----
Ich singe, wie der Vogel singt,
Der in den Zweigen wohnet;
Das Lied, das aus der Kehle dringt,