Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Thu Jun 21, 2001  4:24 am
Subject:  neck tension in pop singer

I have a student with a problem I have not seen
before. As he sings, the sides of his neck (from
below his jawline and directly under his ears down to
about his collarbone) tense in waves. I do not know
how he does this! The only way I can move just that
area is by an ugly maneuvering of my jaw and mouth.
However, he produces this motion without doing so.
Although relaxing the jaw helps, he seems to be able
to have a relaxed jaw and still have the neck
movement.

I have not come up with a way to address this except
by giving him awareness and also doing lots of
stretches of this muscle. I believe this is the
sterno-cleido-mastoid (please excuse spelling or wrong
name, I am away from my books), but I cannot find
anything written that addresses this specific issue
with that muscle. Any suggestions or references???

Thanks!

Melinda

12788 Re: neck tension in pop singer Trevor Allen   Thu  6/21/2001   2 KB

emusic.com