Vocalist.org archive

From:  peggyh@i...
peggyh@i...
Date:  Wed Jun 20, 2001  1:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Fear concerning NATS

promero@w... wrote:
<<I'll throw in a little confession, I'm scared of NATS because I come from a
very small school and I'm technically the only serious voice
student. >>
<< I wonder what I will feel.>>

First, thanks for your lovely note to the list. I'm glad you've joined us, and
I'm happy you find this to be a useful, constructive and positive place to be.
That's also why I'm here, and I love that the most experienced people are the
most kind and helpful to those with the least experience.

It's always scary to be doing something new like NATS. You'll be in an
unfamiliar place, with lots of unfamiliar people, doing unfamiliar things, and
being judged! But you have a lot of time between now and then to prepare
yourself, both in terms of the work with your teacher and coming to terms with
how you'll deal with the situation.

There's lots of ways to do that, and the coolest thing about something like
NATs is it gives you the opportunity to learn to deal with the scary and the
unknown in a safe situation -- in that it's not life and death - no money is at
stake - no job or career is on the line.

One thing you can think about is that just about everyone else there is in the
same boat. Whether they're from a big school or a small school, they're almost
all in a strange place with strange people. No matter how accomplished others
seem to be, they probably feel as uncertain as you do about how others will
evaluate their performance.

So one thing you can do is find out as much about the experience as possible -
here, and by talking to other singers who've been there before about all the
details of what a day at NATS is like. You might find a few things in the
vocalist-temporary archives here at yahoo.groups.com from earlier discussions
about NATS.

Good luck, and have fun. It's great to have an event like NATS to focus your
work towards, and afterwards I guarantee that you'll find future unfamiliar
situations to be less scary - in singing and also in other parts of your life!

Peggy

----
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com