Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Ginny Allen" <revginny@w...>
"Ginny Allen" <revginny@w...>
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  4:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Noise levels...musicians' uniqueness

Subject was: "Question about noise levels"
Excerpt: ...towards the end of the applause I developed pain in my ear...
Another consideration and perspective on auditory sensitivity:

Although auditory physical damage is a viable reason for problems with
decibels, I would also pose that we should consider 'the artistic make-up.'
Artists tend to be highly-sensitive in many areas of life. With our ears
trained to hear what others are oblivious to, it seems logical that we also
would be offended / irritated / aware of decibels and frequencies that may
not be even noticed by others. As 'an artsy type,' I had not considered
that I hear things differently from non-artists until certain events brought
that to my attention.

Once such encounter was when reading the book, THE HIGHLY SENSITIVE PERSON,
and scoring a 10 on the self-evaluation! This made me realize that I am at
the 'high end' compared to others; norm is a 5. Despite being out of 'the
norm,' I feel like I lead a fulfilling life, music as one fulfilling factor,
but only because I have grappled with what being highly-sensitive means and
how it effects those around me who are not so sensitive. This condition is
both a blessing and a curse, much like perfect pitch. (Maybe this is an ego
trap, making me feel sensitively superior? Perhaps it is to compensate for
personal insecurities with my talent that are common to artists?)

Through the years I have done some behavior modification, maintained a
personal friendship with Jesus Christ and also, the very fact that I am
sensitive to others and aware of my personal sensitivity, each of these
helps me in keeping the condition in cheque.

I realize that we can each attest, only to our own experience. The
sensitivity of being an artist is what I attribute my aural sensitivity to.
For me, I first noticed aural sensitivity when my University Choral
Director's voice frequency tickled my eardrum at times, like a feather. I
certainly felt for the singer whose frequency irritation was caused by her
own mother's voice! That's a hard one to deal with!

Physical issues are valid and should not be overlooked or neglected,
but let's not forget that we are sensing creatures, as well.

Ginny Allen
Florida - 90 today and I'm sensitive to THAT, too!

emusic.com