Vocalist.org archive

From:  rtpeacoc@e...
rtpeacoc@e...
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  4:02 am
Subject:  Re: Rats, NATS!

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., > The NATS competition requirements state you *have* to have an
> American Composer somewhere in there. What gets me is that you have
> to have this even if your voice is geared more towards Bel Canto or
> the Baroque repertoire. I find that bit incredibly annoying. If I
> were meant to sing John Duke, I would have been born with the voice,
> n'est pas? ...Considering the Italian consonants are ideal for the
> best sound. I don't know about you, but every time I have to sing in
> english or German I have to roll my eyes. Strangely, German isn't
> half as bad as english is... and it's not because I'm a latin speaker
> and don't know the consonants, I have a Cambridge degree in english
> and can pronounce it like a native (with a rather WEIRD english
> accent, but..), but just because...well, the beauty of an open vowel
> *sighs happily* give me italian any day, i'll gladly even take german
> or french :P
>
> Does anyone else have the same trouble?

Yes indeed, and I'm a native speaker! (well, OK, an American -- I'm
sure many Englishfolk would draw a distinction.) In fact, I've
persuaded the composer friend with whom I've been working to let me
translate his arias into Italian for precisely that reason. (Now if I
only had the time to DO it!)

Incidentally, did they say WHICH American composers you could choose
from, or could it be a new fledgling one? ;)

Robin
mezzo[?]-in-training

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12736 Re: Rats, NATS! promero@w...   Tue  6/19/2001   5 KB
12737 Re: Rats, NATS! Nancy Fontana   Tue  6/19/2001   4 KB

emusic.com