Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
"Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
Date:  Tue Jun 19, 2001  4:59 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Met Regional Auditions-thoughts?

Dear Molly,

What is your voice category? I ask this as those with lighter voices tend
to do better at a younger age than those with heavier voices that take
longer to mature.

What district are you in? On average, how many auditioners does your
district get? Does your voice teacher think you should? Perhaps an even
better judge (because your teacher loves you and has heard you at your best)
would be a well respected coach in your area.

As a former auditioner (many moons ago) and now a member of my district Met
Auditions committee, I would recommend not auditioning unless you have a
colorable possibility of winning something. Don't waste one of your
opportunities to audition just to get the experience. You may or may not get
feed-back. It depends your district's tradition, but do try to seek it out.
If you don't know whether there will be an opportunity to receive feed-back,
call the chair of your auditions committee and find out whether they offer
the opportunity.

Don't be afraid of the process. In our district, and I'm sure it's true in
others, we try our best to make the process supportive for the singers. We
want everyone to do well.

Kate Leff
San Diego