Vocalist.org archive

From:  Wendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
Wendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
Date:  Mon Jun 18, 2001  8:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MED: Thyroid Biospy Thanks

Laura wrote
Here's my last question on this topic: Do they really know best what my
pain
tolerance is?

Hi Laura and Listmates!

I'm glad things went smoothly for you. To answer your question, it's important
to realize that doctors, like most voice teachers, are only human. As such, we
tend to approach everything we do in terms of our own individual experience.
If your doctor is comfortable using a local anesthetic, has a great deal of
experience doing the biopsy this way, and has had some bad experiences not
using it, (s)he is going to use a local anesthetic. Regardless of what some
people say, we all *may* change with time. I remember once, many many years
ago, I had a patient with severe heart disease. She was from the Philipines
and didn't speak English. Her daughter, an internal medicine physician,
insisted on being present in the cardiac catheterization lab during her
angiogram, telling me she's never squeamish, and, as a practicing MD, would be
of great help. I broke one of my own rules to not have family present during
my procedures...

During the course of the angiogram, the patient developed a transient
arrhythmia. Her daughter, the doctor, sompletely lost control of herself. We
quickly managed the arrhythmia, but not w/o the added difficulty of her
daughter flying about the room. I've never broken that rule again.

GWendel

NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12723 Rats, NATS! promero@w...   Mon  6/18/2001   3 KB
12730 Re: Rats, NATS! Jeffrey Snider   Tue  6/19/2001   2 KB
12733 Re: Rats, NATS! rtpeacoc@e...   Tue  6/19/2001   3 KB
12736 Re: Rats, NATS! promero@w...   Tue  6/19/2001   5 KB
12737 Re: Rats, NATS! Nancy Fontana   Tue  6/19/2001   4 KB

emusic.com