Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jun 18, 2001  8:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MED (somewhat): Question about noise levels

Have you considered popping the earplugs in only during the applause, then
taking them out during the performance?

While I don't think my ears are hypersensitive, I do know that there are
certain sounds that I find egregious - and I'm not just talking about
overly loud rock music or construction equipment. One sound that causes
particular problems for me is my mother's laughter. I know this sounds
terrible, but she has this VERY LOUD laugh which can definitely cause me
aural discomfort, particularly when I'm sitting next to her in the car or
in the theatre (i.e., places I can't move away from her). There have been
times when I've had to literally cover my ears with my hands when she
laughs too close to me - which, as you can imagine, causes no end of good
will (not). I've tried explaining to her that her loud laugh is aurally
painful to me: she takes this as a personal insult. I'm not asking her to
laugh more quietly; I'm simply asking her to accept my need to cover my
ears when she laughs in close proximity to them. How would you resolve
this one?

KM
NEIL SHICOFF, TENORE SUPREMO
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html