Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Date:  Mon Jun 18, 2001  8:38 pm
Subject:  MED (somewhat): Question about noise levels

I had a rather nasty experience listen to an opera last week -- after a
great aria the house erupted into a prolonged applause, towards the end
of the applause I developed pain in my ear, as if pressure were
building. Since then I've had minor ear aches and sustained ringing in
my ear (well, more than usual and at a different frequency. I had a
bit of ear trauma about two years ago which left me with occasional
ringing in the ears). My ears also seem to be a bit more sensitive to
noise since the performance.

Clearly I'm worried about having damaged my ears, especially since I'm
already blessed (cursed!) with sensitive ears to begin with. I'm
seeing my doctor this week but I'm wondering if I'm potentially
damaging my hearing while I practice or during lessons. Are we capable
of creating enough volume to damange our own hearing? The ringing
sensation was definitely worse at my first practice after the
performance.

My other question is what to do about performances. Ear plugs mean
that I lose the pianos and pianissimos in most houses unless I start
buying much better seats, but after last week I'm worried about the
noise level at operas. Is it loud enough to cause hearing damage? I
don't even want to imagine trying to learn how to sing if my ears are
going to fail on me in the process.

Thanks for the help.
Ingo

http://buzz.yahoo.com/

Greypins@a...ingo_d@y...agoldhammer@y...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12721 Re: MED (somewhat): Question about noise levels Karen Mercedes   Mon  6/18/2001   3 KB
12724 Re: MED (somewhat): Question about noise levels Nancy Fontana   Tue  6/19/2001   3 KB
12734 Re: MED (somewhat): Question about noise levels michael.chesebro   Tue  6/19/2001   3 KB
12735 Re: MED (somewhat): Question about noise levels Greypins@a...   Tue  6/19/2001   2 KB
12739 Re: MED (somewhat): Question about noise levels Ingo Duckerschein   Tue  6/19/2001   3 KB
13086 MED: Eustacian tube disfunction + Nasonex ingo_d@y...   Mon  7/9/2001   2 KB
13093 Re: MED: Eustacian tube disfunction + Nasonex agoldhammer@y...   Mon  7/9/2001   2 KB
13117 Re: MED: Eustacian tube disfunction + Nasonex John Messmer, M.D.   Wed  7/11/2001   4 KB
12743 Re: MED (somewhat): Question about noise levels John Messmer, M.D.   Tue  6/19/2001   3 KB

emusic.com