Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Date:  Sat Jun 16, 2001  3:24 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: Zarzuela!

----Original Message-----
>From: promero@w... <promero@w... < >Date: Saturday, June 16, 2001 4:01 AM
>
> I've heard that there's Zarzuela happening in the U.S....wow!

Yes, it's an art form that's been on a considerable roll for quite some
time.
Obviously, it came to the general public's attention via the biggest name
& hardest working operatic singer in the biz - Placido Domingo (imo).
But as you know - many more came before: Maestro Munar in Miami, FL
via La Habana (for one).

I had the good fortune to make the acquaintence, friendship & perform
last year in Zarzuela with one of your 'compatriotas' from Ecuador:
Juan Borja. His musical heritage is quite impressive: studied at
Teatro Colon Buenos Aires and tutored under Alfredo Kraus & Gino Becchi.
He's giving it a go here in the States - I wish him well.

As for coaches: there's only one at the top of my list: Pablo Zinger.
New York City's his home base & his resume is enormous. He's
young yet - so we are very lucky! Miami, FL has a good zarzuela
representation. So does Santa Fe & Albuquerque, NM. And there's
a summer festival in Napa, CA. To find more information about the
local & international Zarzuela scene - here's an url:
http://www.nashwan.demon.co.uk/zarzuela.htm

Salud y pesetas!!

EV

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size