Vocalist.org archive

From:  promero@w...
promero@w...
Date:  Sat Jun 16, 2001  9:01 am
Subject:  Re: Zarzuela!

I've heard that there's Zarzuela happening in the U.S....wow! I
lived for 20 years (i'm 22) in ecuador, south america , and we had a
good Zarzuela tradition (until 20 years ago) and I grew up with the
recordings of the spanish companies that would ocassionally tour
South America and would pass through Ecuador (I once heard, off-topic
about the Zarzuela, that Caruso once was on his way to Argentina (i
think) and he passed through Ecuador. He would have come into
Guayaquil, the port city <then a cultural center, not the cesspool of
mediocrecy it is today> except that an outbreak of the plague du jour
scared him from doing so. I don't know about the verity of this) and
I had the opportunity to sing in (in the chorus) Luisa Fernanda.

Are they done in Spanish? (vocal coaches galore, if so!) And
where? I heard D.C. (which is rather close) I was thinking that I
could contemplate looking into it in the future after graduation and
more years of practice...spanish being my maternal tongue and the
Zarzuela repertoire being something I'm quite familiar with ("Agua ,
Azucarillo y Aguardienteeeee!") my favorite, as whimsical goes, is La
Corte Del Faraon (" Ay ba-- Ay ba--- Ay, Babilonia, que marea!" )

Sorry, I got carried away :) Are there, then, zarzuela recordings
available on video in the U.S.? I have not seen a Zarzuela live since
an OLD recording that my father caught off Spanish Television of
Domingo in Luisa Fernanda a looong time ago (and decades later, he
records it in CD!).

Well, time to sign off, i feel sick again :)
Paul,
"Ah mi morena, morena clara, ay mi moreeena que gusto da
mirarlaaaaaa..."

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12716 Re: Zarzuela! Karen Mercedes   Mon  6/18/2001   4 KB

emusic.com