Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Sat Apr 29, 2000  9:45 pm
Subject:  Re: MP3 Recorder

The original message disappeared into the bit bucket when my power died so- - -

I believe the question was who makes it and how much?

A large bunch of manufacturers make portable MP3 recorder/players. A few claim
to make non-portable MP3 recorders but I have yet to see one. A portable MP3
recorder is not any better than a hand held portable tape recorder.

The question is, do you want to use it for temporary use, like a tape recorder
or digital recorder? Or for permanent storage of an MP3 file? If it is for
permanent storage for later use as a CD or tape album, I would not recommend a
portable recorder which costs between $165-$300.

I recommend you use your computer and sound card to create MP3 recordings using
a cool program like Cool Edit 2000 at $69. To record MP3's you go through your
computer sound card using your computer microphone or a good microphone. Use
can purchase the program off the net (or try a demo first) at
http://www.syntrillium.com/cooledit/index.html.

Allow me to tell you/show you the results of Cool Edit. Epilogue Studios uses
Cool Edit Pro ($495) in making commercial CD Albums. The quality rivals
anything out there done by $18,000 worth of analog mixers and storage DATs.
That's the 'Tell' part. For the 'Show' part go visit http://www.mp3.com/tgf and
listen to 'Amazing Grace' which was performed live in our studios using Cool
Edit exclusively and SR71 microphones.

You might be impressed.

--
Dean FH Macy, Lit.D./Mus.D.

"Specializing in Management of exceptionally talented youth in Music"
<http://www.newenglandtalent.org> EPI Records - NetWork Films

"Making children do something they don't want to do is the job of the parents.
If that doesn't work, there are always juvenile detention centers." - Mike R.
-

emusic.com