Vocalist.org archive

From:  Pablo <promero@w...>
Pablo <promero@w...>
Date:  (Date Unavailable)
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Can one have too much Mozart?

> I'm no tenor repertoire maven - however, I'm a rabid Mozart
>fan, so you might like other music I like. I'm a major fan
>of Henry Purcell. Like Mozart, his music is terrific for
>the voice, rewards good technique but is also great in
>building technique because of its demands on the voice,
>lovely on the surface yet endlessly fascinating below the
>surface, great text-setting, and he died way too young!
>
>Peggy

LOL! Thanks Peggy..actually, I'm a huge Purcell fan myself. My last two Purcell
pieces last Semester were "Evening Hymn" and "Hark, How all things" from the
Fairy Queen (granted, its a Soprano piece, but a tenor can do it too!).

Lately I've been listening to Un Aura Amorosa from Cosi fan Tutte and I've
falled madly in love with the aria, I want to add it to my workload next
semester... as well as Quanto E Bella cuanto E Cara, by Donizetti (L'elixir).
It's interesting how many tenors use "Una furtva lagrima" as the tenor theme
song, when Quanto E Bella is much more tender :)
As for the demands on the voice... don't I know it :P My introduction to
Mozart was Dalla Sua Pace... OY vey :) But I loved it, of course. I'm going to
aim for Un Aura Amorosa to prepare the way for Il Mio Tesoro (that way I'll
have both of Don Ottavio's arias) :)

emusic.com