Vocalist.org archive

From:  Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Date:  Tue Jun 12, 2001  8:32 pm
Subject:  OFF: Re: [vocalist] 2Be out?

Hello all,

By the way, yes, I'm back in cyberspace, sort of like Caio, continuing to deal
with the myriad distractions of "real" life...

Most of my thoughts on this have already been well expressed by many others.
There's just this bit that still bugs me...

Lisa Miller wrote:

> ...Being gay is a
> lifestyle choice...

Attempting to avoid a semantic quibble between "life" and "lifestyle", in view
of overwhelming scientific studies and in my own, um, "internal guidance",
flawed as it may be, I believe the above statement is a fundamental lie. This
is among the biggest problems I have with religions/philosophies (and/or highly
probable distortions of original teachings...) that promulgate this lie,
advocating intolerance and in their most extreme forms, murder, as in the tragic
Matthew Shepard case.

Homosexuality is NOT a "choice" or a learned behaviour - children who are truly
heterosexual cannot "learn to be homosexuals". Rather, it is, as studies
indicate, a natural behaviour historically occurring in approximately ten per
cent of the human population. This behaviour has also been scientifically
observed in other species. It is a natural trait like race, hair/eye colour,
etc. Why homosexuality occurs is not clear. Some scientists have speculated
that it may be a form of natural population control.

For the record, for anyone who thinks this matters, I am a "raving
heterosexual"...:o)

In general terms, I believe our culture is very messed up about our bodies,
"innocent" physical contact and general awareness of our bodies/egos, where our
breath is... I believe that many of our bigger personal/social challenges are
rooted in this stuff... It occurs to me that as artists whose medium is so much
in the body, we have a critical role to play in meeting these challenges...

Hopefully, this issue has now been "well flogged" here, but I would invite any
and all who want to "solve this and other world problems" to the "Backstage"
list...

And now, "I really should be singing..."

Blessings.

Michael

Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
back doing my summer gig in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
same old ugly personal web page http://www.angelfire.com/me/interdependence/
Frantic Follies Vaudeville Site http://vaudeville.yk.net/

“Drink coffee – Do stupid things faster with more energy.”

emusic.com