Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Jun 12, 2001  3:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] I need help with singing [i] vowel

This may not work for you, but you can certainly try:
To prepare vowel modification you can go to extremes and then cut back,
although the extreme vowel substitute will often be acceptable. [i] can
easily be substituted by [I] (as in 'pig'), but the jaw will be in quite a
different position (hanging somewhat)if you want it to be resonant.
Depending on context [e] as in 'prego' or 'late' might work too.
It is important to form the right resonance configuration for each vowel
being sung, even if it is an 'in-between' vowel. So if you sing [I], don't
think [i] or you may end up with even more trouble. john