Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@b...>
"Sandra" <sandra@b...>
Date:  Tue Jun 12, 2001  2:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] OT: 2Be out?

This did seem to get off topic fast, I think. I'd like to give my
perception based on what I have seen and the professionals I know From what
I've seen, I don't think being out would hurt one at all in the classical
and broadway-type musical venues. I'd say ratio-wise, I probably know of as
many successful gay people as straight in classical/opera. It doesn't seem
to be a limiting factor.

As for the church scene, having been raised S. Baptist and living in the
"buckle" of the bible belt, I'd say that in most S. Baptist churches, being
open where I live would cost you a job. Probably the same is true for some
of the smaller, fundamental type churches (the ones I'm familiar with tend
not to use professional musicians anyway.) Then there are a few
denominations, Unitarian or the a few others come to mind, where it really
wouldn't be a concern. Other than that, most churches around here,
including those of larger denominations such as Catholic, Methodist,
Episcopal, etc, it probably wouldn't be an issue. I think many adopt a
don't ask, don't tell view. When auditioning for a cantor or soloist, they
don't ask about sexual orientation. Even if they "know" already, they don't
ask. Where I live, soloist or paid cantors often don't regularly attend the
churches they perform at. So most people in the congregation would never
know the details of the singers private life to feel uncomfortable. I would
think that size of the city, church and level of their desire to hire best
available musicians would all be factor.

As for other venues, such as jazz, pop, blues, rock and country, I don't
really know enough to know. Off the top of my head I'd say if one wanted to
be a pop/rock star, management would probably want to hide their being gay
from public view since they would want all 15 year olds of the opposite sex
to fall madly in love wih and entertain a secret fantasy that the singer is
available to them. It seems to me that the gay population is
underrepresented in pop, rock and country. I don't know if gay persons
don't make it as often or if they just aren't out about being gay in these
venues.

I found the original question interesting, and hope some others share what
they see in their areas as relates.

Sandra

emusic.com