Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Tue Jun 12, 2001  2:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] I need help with singing [i] vowel

domina_ascenti@y... wrote:

>Can anyone please give me some tips on how to sing [i]
>well?

Mmm. A singing lesson over the internet without hearing or seeing
you? Sure, I'll bite, provided you'll report to all of us how it goes!

I would suggest sustaining single tones and slowly going from each of
various vowels (ah as in father, eh as in hay, oh as in go, and oo as
in do) to [i] (ee as in be) and back in a single breath. Look always
to have the experience be easy, never forced. Look for a way to sing
the [i] that continues the ease of the other vowels. Start the lesson
somewhere in your range where it is easy to sing the auxiliary vowel
(ah, eh, oh, oo). When you have improved your ability to switch back
and forth between each of the other vowels and [i] then repeat the
procedure using tones gradually higher and lower than the original
tone.

Good luck, and please let us know your experience doing what I suggest.

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet

emusic.com