Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Mon Jun 11, 2001  3:36 pm
Subject:  quotations vs. summaries

John Link requested that people carefully select what they quote when
replying to messages. I'd like to add that paraphrasing and summarizing seem
to be almost lost arts on this list. Some mail software automatically
regurgitates every iota of a message being replied to. Please, you can
circumvent this by backspacing over it or by highlighting text and selecting
cut. Maybe you can set your options to where if doesn't send back the
message in the first place. I don't know. I'm not a geek. Isabelle is and
can guide you.

The AOL program quotes only what one highlights before hitting the reply
button. My server on Yahoo does, as I said, regurgitate the entire message.
This is useful for personal one on one e-mail. It is a disaster, however,
for a thread, a chain of replies within a list-serv!

Doris, soprano in New Jersey about to suffer separation anxiety from AOL

emusic.com