Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Sun Jun 10, 2001  2:27 pm
Subject:  David Daniels ROH debut - and a 12-year-old opera singer.

David Daniels' Royal Opera House debut, in Gluck's Orfeo, was broadcast
live on BBC radio 3 last night. Did any other uk Listers hear it?

What a voice! - vibrant, expressive, emotional - and when he duetted
with Susan Gritton at the end, there was none of the uncomfortable lack
of blend that normally occurs with a counter-tenor and a female soprano.
Altogether, it was a triumph.

But I thought truly remarkable was the other member of the cast. Billed
in the Radio Times as a counter-tenor, Tristan Hambleton was quite
clearly a treble, and a treble of powerful size. It was such a
competent performance, skilfully phrased, and in good Italian too, that
I supposed he must be one of these 15-year-olds who are trembling on the
brink of a late voice-break. At the end of the broadcast, we were
informed that he is TWELVE. He's a chorister in St Paul's Cathedral and
is apparently the fourth generation of his family to sing at Covent
Garden.

What are the chances of our ever hearing him there as a
tenor/baritone/bass? Are there any instances of truly top-class trebles
maturing into truly top-class adult singers?

cheers

Linda

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
12555 Re: David Daniels ROH debut - and a 12-year-old o Greypins@a...   Sun  6/10/2001   2 KB
12564 Re: David Daniels ROH debut - and a 12-year-old o gsanders@b...   Mon  6/11/2001   2 KB
12565 Re: David Daniels ROH debut - and a 12-year-old o Greypins@a...   Mon  6/11/2001   2 KB
12582 Re: David Daniels ROH debut - and a 12-year-old o Isabelle Bracamonte   Mon  6/11/2001   2 KB
12585 young trebles' later success John Alexander Blyth   Mon  6/11/2001   2 KB
12586 Re: David Daniels ROH debut - and a 12-year-old o Elizabeth Finkler   Mon  6/11/2001   3 KB
12747 Re: David Daniels ROH debut - and a 12-year-old o Tako Oda   Tue  6/19/2001   2 KB

emusic.com